Wednesday 23 February 2011

Gridding.

I was thinking the other morning, you know how it is when your partners snoring at 4am, and I came to wonder what the hype about gridding is. For me I find it’s the only way I can keep track of where I am. But on the other hand I am constantly doubting weather I have counted right. I know on elegant kimono I made a basic mistake when gridding and I have struggled to “work around it” as I couldn’t be arsed to start the whole thing over again. I think I have cracked it, when I get near to the wrong bit I make it up as I go along. I know, I know naughty me.
If you do grid do you find that using different colours help? I find I use several different colours for gridding the same design. Also very bright colours help me for the darker or busier areas such as neon’s and reds.  I found a fantastic bright blue at my local 99p store which is great for gridding as I got four of them for 99p.
I also like that I can work around on different parts. I always start in the middle of the design and as you can see from pics I tend to wonder off and do other parts like the bottom of the dress or all the flowers. I doubt I would be able to without gridding as I don’t think I would have the confidence to count it out and just start from there.
I don’t know if gridding would work for samplers though as I have never tried.
I love finishing for the night and realising that I have completed a square a full 100 stitches, and setting a goal for the next night of finishing 3 squares.
What do you think of gridding does it help or do you prefer to “go it alone”
Do you grid with thread or do you draw it on. Which do you find is better?

No comments: